Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Welcome to My Garden


This is my second year of gardening. Before last summer I had only green things I had ever grown were at the back of my refridgerator. Some wild piece of inspiration last spring caused me to start herbs from seed. There were some successes and some utter failures. Among the successes were the basil and mint. Among the failures; chives, camomile, and lemon balm. Then over the winter this happened to my poor lavender and rosemary plants!

Wintering them in the basement was a bad idea. 




















So, I'll have to start from scratch there. Also this year I am trying a few veggies. My husband does a pretty extensive garden down at the farm so my foray is really limited to things I have a special interest in; hot peppers and tomatoes for salsa, cukes for pickles. We had such a mild winter here in Maine that I started some of my seeds a few weeks ago, and they are already for fiber pots.
I'm determined not to kill these chives!!

The faster germinating seeds I am just getting started. Things like lettuce and cucumbers I will hopefully be able to sow directly outside. My next project is going to be constructing some raised beds. Up until now I've been a strictly container gardener, but we have the space so its time to put on my big girl gloves and put some plants in the ground. I'll keep you updated on how that works out. L

No comments: